Be a Role Model for Riders
Our Coach-in-Training program teaches enthusiastic young riders to coach, counsel, and mentor others. The 4-week experience builds soft and hard skills on and off bikes, blending technical learning with social-emotional development—a signature feature of Hale MTB Camp.
This Leadership Development Program’s curriculum builds on themes as camp sessions progress.
During the first two weeks, participants learn what it means to be an MTB coach and counselor. You’ll explore workplace policies, organizational structures and routines, and practice skills needed to support youth in outdoor settings. There’s fun in store, too—you’ll engage in camp activities and go on an off-campus ride.
After learning how Hale MTB Camp works and being coached by program leaders, you’ll be ready to send with confidence. You’ll shadow staff members for longer periods of time, begin assisting with activities and instruction, and take responsibility by leading rides and directly coaching campers in skill development.
During their last week, MTB CITs run the show for a day. You’ll be responsible for planning morning meetings, coordinating rides, and facilitating group drills. As the “go-to” coach, you’ll put all of your leadership skills to the test.
At Hale, every camper takes the bus! We gladly provide bus service with stops in Brookline, Dedham, Dover, Hyde Park, Jamaica Plain, Medfield, Milton, Needham, Newton, Norwood, Roslindale, Walpole, Wellesley, West Roxbury, and Westwood. To reduce traffic and enhance safety, regular drop-offs and pick-ups are not permitted on site. A local bus stop is available for campers whose parents or guardians wish to drive them to Westwood.
A camp staff member accompanies each bus for the duration of its route and ensures your camper’s safe journey to and from camp each day. Please note that you or an authorized adult must meet your camper at your designated bus stop each afternoon. Buses serve campers during regular camp hours (8:45 AM–3:45 PM). Hale does not offer an extended day option. Please ensure your camper’s transportation plans account for timely pick-up.
- Clark Playground, 195 Cypress St, Brookline, MA 02445 7:55 AM 4:35 PM
- Heath Elementary School, 100 Eliot St, Chestnut Hill, MA 02467 8:05 AM 4:25 PM
- Memorial Spaulding Elementary School, 250 Brookline St, Newton, MA 02459 8:20 AM 4:10 PM
- Match Charter Public Middle School, 215 Forest Hills St, Jamaica Plain, MA 02130 8:00 AM 4:30 PM
- West Roxbury High School, 1205 VFW Pkwy, Boston, MA 02132 8:20 AM 4:10 PM
- Schofield Elementary School, 27 Cedar St, Wellesley, MA 02481 7:50 AM 4:40 PM
- Eliot Elementary School, 135 Wellesley Ave, Needham Heights, MA 02494 8:05 AM 4:25 PM
- Newman Elementary School, 1155 Central Ave, Needham, MA 02492 8:20 AM 4:10 PM
- Dale Street School, 45 Adams St, Medfield, MA 02052 7:45 AM 4:45 PM
- Thomas Blake Middle School, 24 Pound St, Medfield, MA 02052 7:55 AM 4:35 PM
- Dover Town Garage Parking Lot, 40 Spring Rd, Dover, MA 02030 8:15 AM 4:15 PM
- Sheehan School, 549 Pond St, Westwood, MA 02090 8:30 AM 4:00 PM
- Norwood High School, 245 Nichols St, Norwood, MA 02062 7:50 AM 4:40 PM
- F. A. Cleveland School, 380 Nichols St, Norwood, MA 02062 8:00 AM 4:30 PM
- Norfolk County Agricultural School, 400 Main St, Walpole, MA 02081 8:15 AM 4:15 PM
- Westwood High School, 200 Nahatan St, Westwood, MA 02090 8:30 AM 4:00 PM
- Holy Name Elementary School, 535 W Roxbury Pkwy, West Roxbury, MA 02132 8:00 AM 4:30 PM
- Catholic Memorial, 235 Baker St, West Roxbury, MA 02132 8:15 AM 4:15 PM
- Riverdale Elementary School, 143 Needham St, Dedham, MA 02026 8:25 AM 4:05 PM
- Pierce Middle School, 451 Central Ave, Milton, MA 02186 7:35 AM 4:55 PM
- Ellison Parks Early Ed School, 108 Babson St, Boston, MA 02126 7:45 AM 4:45 PM
- Francis D. Martini Memorial Shell Park and Moynihan Recreation Area, 1015 Truman Pkwy, Boston, MA 02136 8:00 AM 4:30 PM
- Greenlodge Elementary School, 191 Greenlodge St, Dedham, MA 02026 8:15 AM 4:15 PM
- Downey School, 250 Downey St, Westwood, MA 02090 8:30 AM 4:00 PM
- James W Hennigan School, 200 Heath St, Jamaica Plain, MA 02130 7:45 AM 4:45 PM
- The Mosaic School, 3859 Washington St, Boston, MA 02131 8:00 AM 4:30 PM
- Washington Irving Middle School, 105 Cummins Hwy, Roslindale, MA 02131 8:10 AM 4:20 PM
- Beethoven Elementary School, 5125 Washington St, Boston, MA 02132 8:25 AM 4:05 PM
Learning To Be a Coach
Frequently Asked Questions
LDPs are a lot of fun, but they’re also a serious commitment. Moving up from being a camper to a leader can be an adjustment!
You should ask yourself several questions to gauge your readiness:
- Do I have a sincere desire to work with children?
- Would I like to develop and improve my leadership abilities?
- Is an out-of-doors work experience right for me?
- Am I ready to become a role model for younger children?
- Can I handle the responsibility of being a counselor, coach, or guide?
- Am I ready to put others’ needs ahead of my own?
- Do I have the ability to work well with others in a variety of situations?
If you answered yes to most of these questions, then you’re headed in the right direction!
Successful applicants treat the admission process much like a job application. In that spirit, applicants should communicate directly with the camp directors. Caregivers may help in certain ways, such as suggesting how to communicate with working professionals, or providing résumé or interview tips. At the same time, remember that we seek candidates who are independent, mature, and self-motivated. Caregivers who cultivate these traits allow their teens to take responsibility for their application.
Please be aware space is very limited—not everyone who applies is accepted into our LDPs. Also keep in mind that no matter what your admission decision may be, you will gain valuable experience in the application and interview process.
Tuition covers four weeks of training, education, camp activities, an off-campus trip, and an overnight. We’re also pleased to include one Hale Annual Membership per camp family (a $120 value), which offers complimentary parking throughout the year, discounts on activities, and a copy of Hale Magazine.
Recognized & Accredited
Every camp must comply with regulations set by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health and be licensed by the local Board of Health, but Hale Summer Camps go well beyond that.
Our camps are routinely recognized as Boston Parents Paper Family Favorites, are members of the Massachusetts Camping Association, and are proudly accredited by the American Camp Association.
Learn why that’s important.
Included in Tuition
We’re pleased to once again include one Hale Annual Membership per camp family (a $120 value) with registration. Valid from Mar. 1, 2024–Feb. 28, 2025, your membership features complimentary parking throughout the year, discounts on activities, and a copy of Hale Magazine. You’ll receive instructions to claim your household’s membership in February.
Paying for Camp
Registrants may choose to pay in full or opt for installment billing. This is a matter of preference; no discount is associated with one option vs. the other.
Installment billing requires a non-refundable down payment of $150 (Pre-Camp Programs) or $300 (Summer Camps and Leadership Development Programs). This down payment is required per camper, per session. The remainder is billed in equal monthly installments on the 15th of each month, starting December 2023. Campers who register after installment billing begins are responsible for however many installments would have already been billed leading up to that time.
Example: Let’s say you’d like to enroll your camper in Session 3 of Hale Day Camp’s Lower Camp division. Full tuition is $1,650 per session, less any discounts. If you pay full tuition and opt for installment billing, you’ll make a $300 deposit (per camper, per session), and then we’ll automatically charge the balance to your credit card on the 15th of each month thereafter, starting in December. If you register now, that’s $300 today plus $270 per month starting on Dec. 15. If you register after Dec. 15, you’ll pay $570 at the time of registration ($300 down payment + one $270 installment) and then $270 per month starting Jan. 15.
Whether you opt for installment billing or choose to pay in full, your account balance will be settled by May so you and your camper can focus on what’s most important as summer approaches: camp!
Hale is committed to ensuring that our programs are accessible to children and families regardless of personal means. To that end, we maintain a fund to help families in need afford the cost of tuition. Our financial aid application for next summer’s camps is available and due by Feb. 1.
Transfers & Refunds
Session transfer requests will be honored if space is available at no cost through Jan. 15. Any session transfer requests after Jan. 15 will be charged a $25 transfer fee per session transfer.
Our refund policy protects those who register early. Regular payments (i.e. your total amount paid, minus non-refundable down payments) are refundable until March 15, 2024.
Successful applicants treat the application and hiring process just like any job application. In that spirit, applicants should communicate directly with the camp directors. Caregivers may help in certain ways, such as suggesting how to communicate with working professionals, or providing résumé or interview tips. At the same time, remember that we seek candidates who are independent, mature, and self-motivated. Caregivers who cultivate these traits allow their teens to take responsibility for their application.
Please be aware space is very limited—not everyone who applies is accepted into our LDPs. Also keep in mind that no matter what your admission decision may be, you will gain valuable experience in the job application and interview process.
Register & Apply Today
Once you register, we’ll email an application your camper should complete. Interviews and admission decisions follow. Accepted applicants must confirm enrollment within two weeks.
Get Additional Program Details
Sign up to receive information about Youth Leadership Development Programs, including open houses, registration opportunities, discounts, and more. You’ll also receive our monthly eNews.
Learn More! Sign up for Emails